Life. We don’t want you to miss it.TM
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are looking for a talented, fast learning, solution driven problem solver to join Heart and Stroke’s Information Management team.
The Portfolio Manager, Information Management (PMIM) manages the planning, development, implementation and operation of projects and support efforts associated with the work of the Information Solutions team and our core application, OneCRM and its associated technologies. Throughout the project and support lifecycle, the PMIM obtains feedback to ensure that delivered solutions meet customer expectations for established scope, cost and timeline. The PMIM establishes and maintains relationships and effectively collaborates with internal business leaders, process owners and external vendors to align work efforts and help develop frameworks that enable successful business operations. The PMIM will assist in deciding priorities based on the business owner’s goals, and then help choose applications and projects to undertake based on what will provide optimal business value. The PMIM understands the business and can elicit requirements from various levels of the business and help guide decisions for technical solutions. The PMIM is a subject matter expert in the business portfolio.
- Build and foster relationships at local, provincial and national levels. Establish credibility with business leaders while managing expectations. Ensure frequent, continuous and effective communications with team members, within IT, and with business leaders and stakeholders to set expectations and help set priorities appropriately.
- Be a subject matter expert in the different areas of your portfolio. Liaise with internal leaders to build an intimate understanding of the business and ongoing activities occurring across different functional units. Demonstrate ability to understand and analyze business problems
- Hold regular stakeholder meetings to keep all interested parties updated with project and work request progress. This includes taking notes, preparing presentations and documents. Assist with communications and act as a conduit between the business stakeholders and the Information Management and Information Technology teams
- Support the development of briefing notes, updates, presentation decks and stakeholder communications. Help synthesizing information and data into executive level reports to facilitate strategic decision making
- Aid with the development of tools and templates to facilitate the data/information gathering and analysis process.
Advisement and Authority
- Work with assigned business groups in the portfolio to facilitate both tactical and strategic operations using OneCRM and associated technology. Understand short and long-term goals and objectives and recommend technical solutions and services. Develop and propose options with pros/cons and risk, and work with business leaders and technology teams to finalize the best solution that meets business needs.
- Act as a subject matter advisor which may serve as a point of escalation and become actively involved, as required, to meet schedules and resolve problems. Manage issues proactively, including timely resolution and the identification of remediation opportunities. Identify and resolve systemic issues to help prevent them from repeating.
- Provide technical assistance and offer business knowledge to other members of the Information Solutions team and assigned business groups
- Helps manage the successful deployment and normalization of the project:
- Facilitate the definition of project goals and objectives
- Helps manage the requirements development phase of the project.
- Helps develop and maintain projects budgets and schedule
- Work with the portfolio leads to identify and recruit project resources for requirements gathering, testing and change champions
- Creates and manages project documents: project plan, risk register, task lists, status reports, communications plan, etc.
- Thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements. Facilitation skills to elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, tasks and workflow analysis.
- Understand and document as-is and to-be business processes and be a key contributor in designing solutions. Create and refine business requirements document, preliminary design mockup of new functionality and develop flow charts, functional diagrams, and step by step descriptions and interactions to communicate application design specifications for projects, as required.
- Establish and clearly document requirements, develop use cases, create end user documentation and training materials and demonstrations. Experience in creating clear and detailed business requirements and functional specification documents.
- Assist with business case development for IT projects, IT Assessments, project plans and associated project documents.
- Bachelor degree or college diploma in computer science, information systems, business administration or related field
Work Experience and Skills
- 5+ years of project or portfolio management experience successfully delivering and operating medium to large scale system implementations (CRM/applications/online)
- 3+ years of business analysis experience in a variety of business areas. Significant experience in Marketing, Fundraising, Finance or Research considered an asset
- 2+ years of experience with Microsoft technologies, relational databases and business systems process design
- 2+ years of experience with CRM, Financial Systems, Online Fundraising implementations (experience with Blackbaud CRM, Luminate-Team Raiser, MS Dynamics Great Plains considered an asset)
- Proficiency with standard MS Office applications, MS Visio, MS Project
- Ability to lead multi-functional and geographically dispersed teams
- Experience in a not-for-profit organization considered and asset
- Bilingual – considered an asset
- Strong SQL skills and experience
- Strong database design and development skills and experience
- Strong use case development and end to end testing and management skills and experience
- Solid understanding of network operations, application development life cycle and database administration / management to facilitate successful execution of deliverables working with these teams.
- Experience reading code and understanding the impact is an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills in areas such as teamwork, facilitation and negotiation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to interact professionally with a diverse group (executives, managers, subject matter experts, developers, QA, software architects). Ability to tailor information to the audience in a way that establishes rapport, influences others and gains understanding at all levels.
- Ability to work in fast paced, agile and multiple stakeholder environment. Ability to work according to a plan and with minimum oversight.
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple tasks across multiple stakeholders. Work with the project teams (including both business and technical staff) and internal and external stakeholders and see a work request or project to a successful completion.
- Highly self-motivated and directed with an attention to detail
- Proven analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities
Reports to: Sr. Portfolio Manager, Information Management
How to Apply
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to [email protected] We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.