The Wexford Residence Inc. is a premier senior’s residence in Scarborough that combines independent apartments, long-term care and a senior’s community centre. Established in 1977 and incorporated in 1995, The Wexford is owned and operated by a charitable non-profit corporation with a Board of Directors.
The Wexford is accredited by the Accreditation Canada, and achieved an Exemplary Award during its last accreditation.
We are currently seeking a Director of Environmental Services to be an integral part of our Senior Management Team. The successful candidate must possess superior leadership skills, combined with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills while demonstrating the ability to oversee the physical environment, structural and mechanical upkeep related to the internal and external condition of the Home. The successful applicant must possess a demonstrated ability in core competencies including excellent coaching and mentoring skills, conflict resolution, quality management and excellent customer service skills. The Director will also evaluate and ensure compliance with Long term Care homes Act, 2-007, Regulation 79/10 and all applicable legislation.
1) Management of Daily Operations
- Plans and implements a program of environmental services to meet the requirement of the Long-Term Care Homes Act.
- Manages the day-to-day activities for maintenance, building services, housekeeping and laundry.
- Responsible for repair and maintenance of all corporate physical assets to ensure appearance is visually attractive and mechanically sound.
- Develops, maintains, reviews and updates all policies and procedures consistent with Ministry policies and directives and applicable codes for the management of all programs and services provided within Environmental Services.
- Encourages interdisciplinary and interdepartmental communications for the effective integrated delivery of programs and services to the Tenants, Residents and staff of the Centre.
- Completes Performance Appraisal’s for all staff, 4 months’ Probation Appraisal as per Home’s policy.
2) Fiscal and Planning Responsibility
- Provides input for the preparation of the annual operating and capital budget; monitors expenditures authorized within the approved budget; reviews and approves accounts payable, payroll, requisitions, purchases, receipts and records pertaining to the operations of the maintenance, housekeeping, laundry and building services.
- Responsible for providing input into the Corporate Strategic Plan and capital expenditure priorities.
- Participates in educational in–services, committees and assists in identifying group educational needs.
- A member of the Property Committee of the Board and assists the Board and Executive Director in planning capital projects.
3) Health and Safety Responsibilities
- Co-ordinates the provision of appropriate supplies and equipment and ensures they are readily available and properly maintained to support the safe and effective services to the Residents/Clients and other recipients of services.
- Ensures that health and safety structures and systems are maintained in accordance with the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Corporate Fire Safety Plans, Emergency Plans and Corporate Policy.
- Responsible for annual review and revisions to the Emergency Preparedness Plans (EPP) and co-ordination of regular exercising of plan scenarios.
- Acts as Fire Safety Coordinator ensuring that the life safety systems of the Corporation's physical plant are maintained and staff are trained appropriately on an ongoing basis in fire safety procedures through the use of regular fire drills and didactic training, and maintenance of all related records in keeping with legislated requirements.
- Responsible for annual review and revisions to the Corporation’s Fire Safety Plans.
- Management co-chair of the Occupational Health and Safety Committee.
- Community College Diploma in building maintenance;
- Current license in one or more of the following trades: Carpentry, Electrician, Plumber, Refrigeration, electronic controls, or building safety systems an asset.
- Four (4) years' related experience working in building mechanical maintenance.
- Demonstrated working knowledge in carpentry, plumbing, fire safety systems, H.V.A.C. systems, and refrigeration systems;
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the effective implementation, co-ordination and utilization of computerized preventative maintenance programs;
- Demonstrated knowledge of current building management principles;
- Demonstrated understanding of all applicable building codes and relevant legislation;
- Sound understanding of building environmental systems, including utilities and their distribution systems;
- Sound knowledge of janitorial, housekeeping, and building cleaning techniques, related products and equipment used;
- Good understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act;
- Developed computer literacy with e-mail, word processing, database, spreadsheets, etc.;
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting practices and procedures, budget creation and expenditure control;
- Working knowledge of continuous quality improvement and performance measurement outcome indicators to monitor and evaluate services in a continuum of care for seniors;
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of strategic planning and the development of departmental goals and objectives.
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Effective communication skills both verbal and written;
- Excellent customer service skills:
- Ability to effectively deal with conflict;
- Good coaching, counselling and negotiation ability;
- Good organizational skills;
- Ability to prioritize and deal effectively with competing priorities;
- Good analytical, problem solving, project management and decision making skills; and
- Must be creative, innovative and flexible.
- Computer proficiency
How to Apply
Interested candidates should forward their resume in confidence to:
Sandra Bassett, Executive Director & CEO
Email: [email protected]
Deadline date: February 28, 2019
We thank all applicants, but will contact only qualified candidates selected for interviews. No calls please.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.