In the 68 year history of KW Counselling Services (KWCS), we have been fortunate to have had three incredible Executive Directors steering the agency. We are now looking for our fourth exceptional leader.
KW Counselling Services has been proudly supporting our community since 1950. We are a multi-service agency providing individual, family, group, parenting, and community development supports to Waterloo Region. We reach out to those in our community who seek to create positive change in their lives. Innovative programs like the Walk In Counselling Clinic and OK2BME (for LGBTQ2+ youth and their families) have put the agency on the map and given us national, and even international, attention.
KW Counselling Services aims to provide a diversity-friendly work environment and encourages people of all cultures, genders, sexual orientations, religions, abilities, ages, political affiliations, races, and ethnicities to apply. If you require an accommodation anytime throughout the hiring process, please contact Executive Director Recruitment Committee Chair, Aaron Stauch at [email protected]
About the Position:
We are seeking a leader who believes in, and embodies our vision, mission, and values:
- Vision: A community where no one is left behind, a community where positive relationships are valued as our highest achievement.
- Mission: KW Counselling Services provides excellence in counselling, education, training, and community development to support families and individuals to make positive changes that lead to fulfilled and productive lives.
- We believe…
- we share a common humanity
- in the uniqueness of each person
- in relating to everyone with dignity and respect
- a family at risk is not a family at fault
- in taking ownership of one’s actions
- in the fundamental goodness of all people
These values are demonstrated through the way we interact with staff, clients, and community; and can only be realized when true parallel process exists. These values are demonstrated through values based leadership behaviours. The ED will:
- Make meaningful human connections and relationships to improve a person’s quality of life; and allow for positive change;
- Recognize and acknowledge privilege, oppression, attachment and trauma to connect better with everyone, and proactively address social injustices;
- Celebrate the diversity of people in every way possible, and constantly ask if we are doing enough to serve people’s diverse needs;
- Appreciate people’s unique experiences form their understanding of the world, and respect that the person is not the problem, the problem is the problem;
- Believe that working with people’s strengths is the only way to establish respectful and trusting relationships;
- Be vulnerable to yourself, colleagues, and partners to ensure mistakes are learned from, and create permission for others to be safely vulnerable.
Our expectation is that our Executive Director lives, champions, and is known and recognized for these values.
Scope of Practice & Responsibility
Our Executive Director will also be able to demonstrate through education, experience, knowledge, and skills, the following competencies under each of the four Strategic Pillars established by the Board of Directors:
Enhanced Access and Responsiveness:
- Ensure that KWCS is seen as a world class leader in diversity, inclusion, and accessibility for all people;
- Engage with community members and partners to improve the social support network that exists in the community;
- Communicate and advocate for the values and best practices that define KWCS locally, provincially, nationally, and internationally;
- Find and develop opportunities for partnership, collaboration, and growth; and
- Ensure the organization maintains its reputation for innovation, creativity and strategic foresight; ensuring that client needs are met before a gap in service is realized.
Excellence in Service:
- Ensure that staff, clients and the community recognize KWCS as a leader in customer service;
- Effectively implement, operationalize, monitor and improve the vision, mission, values, strategic and operational plan of KWCS;
- Inspire KWCS staff, interns, and volunteers to work towards the vision and mission of KWCS through embracing our values, and strategic and operational plan;
- Maintain accreditation, at an exemplary level, with an appropriate accreditation organization;
- Ensure that KWCS is a leader in the development of clinical best practices, and adhere to the highest ethical standard; and
- Ensure the agency’s commitment to research and evaluation of programs and services for continuous quality improvement.
Employer of Choice:
- Ensure that KWCS is seen by staff and stakeholders as an employer of choice;
- Establish goals and success measures for all leaders, teams, and staff that support their growth and development, as well as the success of the organization;
- Ensure that all staff, volunteers, and interns receive exceptional supervision to support their work;
- Ensure the organization’s culture is strengths-based, inclusive, attachment-informed, and respectful;
- Ensure the leadership team works in a manner that supports the realization of the vision, mission, values, strategic and operational plan of KWCS;
- Develop and maintain a highly engaged and invested network of volunteers, donors, and Board members;
- Continue the agency’s tradition of training social workers, and psychotherapists; and
- Ensure that our training program maintains an exceptional level of excellence, and that our relationships with post-secondary institutions are exceptional.
Stability in Finance:
- Ensure that KWCS thrives financially, and has long term financial viability;
- Develop diverse and stable funding sources, including fundraising, grant writing, partnerships, corporate partnerships/support, and others;
- Comply with and surpass legislative, regulatory, and contractual commitments;
- Develop a risk management framework, and keep the Board of Directors informed of material risk;
- Develop and maintain funder relationships that recognize KWCS’ value, and see the organization as a first point of investment;
- Work with the Board of Directors to ensure good governance of the organization;
- Place a strong focus on value-for-money in financial decisions; and
- Make difficult decisions decisively, and with the highest regard for KWCS’ values.
- A graduate degree in social work or related clinical field;
- Registered with their appropriate Professional College (as defined by the Regulated Health Professions Act, S.O. 1991, c.18);
- Qualified to practice as a psychotherapist as per the Psychotherapy Act (2007);
- Have at least six (6) years experience as a social work practitioner or therapeutic counsellor (of which three (3) have been in a family agency setting);
- Have at least five (5) years management experience in a field related to family services;
- Training in business and/or social innovation is an asset; and
- Demonstrated administrative ability or equivalencies.
Lines of Accountability:
This position reports directly to the Board of Directors. The ED must have a strong understanding of corporate governance and appropriate Board of Directors-ED relations. The agency senior leadership team report to the ED. This position is subject to all policies, procedures, and practices outlined in the agency’s Policy & Procedures Manual.
Salary: As negotiated or as per approved salary grid. Hours: The work week is 35 hours.
How to Apply
Applications: Please send cover letter and resume to: